Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl

August 07, 2022

Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl

An 11-month-old girl got ahold of a piece of cantaloupe that had dropped on the floor. Her parents did not notice it until their little girl began to turn blue. A typical morning turned into a choking emergency within seconds. The toddler's mother recounts those terrifying moments:

"The Dechoker® saved my 11-month-old daughter. We had dropped cantaloupe, and after picking it all up, she had got a hold of a piece we missed. She had started to turn blue, and although the Dechoker® did not get the piece out, it moved it, and she was able to have a small airway. Her color came back, and she cleared her airway just before paramedics arrived. I think the Dechoker® truly saved her life. Had we not had it, we wouldn't have been able to secure a small passage for air to flow, and our story would have had a much different ending. Thank you for this invention!"

 

Summer Fruits that are Choking Hazards

There is truly nothing like fresh summer fruit. It can be enjoyed for all ages, but it can also be a choking hazard. Read below for the most common fruits that are a choking hazard. 

  • Apples – While “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” it can also be a major choking hazard for young children and elderly individuals. In fact, Dechoker’s 244th live save was reported by Brittany in which a young boy choked on apple slices. Apples should be cut into extremely thin slices.
  • Berries – Berries such as strawberries, raspberries, and even blueberries can be a choking hazard. J.A reported a life save from Alaska where his daughter choked on berries. He commented, “My daughter is now getting to eat finger foods and treats and this evening she was enjoying berries and one happen to block her airway, I didn't panic and responded as quickly as possible with the Dechoker I bought for babies and sure enough it dislodged the berry as it was not only blocking her airway but lodged in and using the product, I even felt it dislodge while using it!”
  • Grapes – Grapes can be a huge choking hazard as they are the perfect size to “plug” a windpipe. It is extremely important to cut grapes into small pieces, and not rely on your child chewing them thoroughly. Dechoker’s life save #139 shares a story where little Isabella (Bella) began to turn blue because she couldn’t breathe from choking on a grape. “I could not believe how quickly it happened. One-minute Bella was watching T.V. enjoying her grapes and then the normal sounds of my 5-year-old stopped.
  • Watermelon – Although watermelon is typically soft and fleshy, if served firm and underripe it can be a choking hazard to young children. It is important to cut any fun that is a choking hazard into small pieces. Dechoker’s 244th life save details an event where a young toddler choked on watermelon. Jorge wrote to Dechoker, "These Dechokers work, my 22-month-old daughter was eating watermelon when she began to choke. We used it and cleared her airway. I recommended this to all my friends and family with kids. It’s a life saver and worth every dollar. It definitely pays itself off after one use. You just never know when it will happen."


Also in Real Life Save Stories

Dechoker® Saves 65-Year-Old Woman with Dysphagia from Choking on Dinner
Dechoker® Saves 65-Year-Old Woman with Dysphagia from Choking on Dinner

August 08, 2022

The 230th life saved by Dechoker® is of a 65-year-old female who suffers from Dysphagia. The woman's son reported this scary choking incident below:
"My 65-year-old mother has a medical issue where she chokes on food a lot. My sister texted me that she choked really bad at dinner but was able to dislodge the food enough to breathe but just barely, so they were on their way to the hospital...

Read More
3-Year-Old Choked on PB&J, Saved by Dechoker®
3-Year-Old Choked on PB&J, Saved by Dechoker®

August 08, 2022

Some of the most texturally challenging foods like peanut butter on soft bread are significant choking hazards because they are harder to chew and swallow. When peanut butter gets lodged in someone's throat, it conforms and blocks the airway...
Read More
Dechoker® Saves Autistic 3-Year-Old with Dysphagia
Dechoker® Saves Autistic 3-Year-Old with Dysphagia

August 08, 2022

Choking is the leading cause of injury and death in children five years of age and younger. Unfortunately, children who are differently abled are often at a higher risk. For example, serious eating and swallowing disorders (Dysphagia) affect approximately 7 out of 10 children with autism...
Read More