Dechoker® Saves One-Year-Old from Potato Chip

August 07, 2022

Dechoker® Saves One-Year-Old from Potato Chip

A one-year-old boy who choked on a potato chip is Dechoker's 228th real-life saved. His father contacted Dechoker to report the choking incident:

"This thing saved my one-year-old's life. He choked on a potato chip and turned beet red. I was so scared, but I laid him down and used the Dechoker. I've never been so scared in my life. Thank goodness for the Dechoker. We keep 3 of them in our house. A small one for the baby and a bigger sized one. You just never know when you need it."

Choking is the Fourth Leading Cause of Unintentional Death

Accidental choking is the fourth leading cause of unintentional death. Although anybody can choke, children and the elderly are two groups who have the highest risk. A lack of air to the brain can change or end a person's life in only minutes. The fear of experiencing a choking incident can be overwhelming, for everyone involved. Dechoker recommends everyone should learn how to prevent choking and avoid potential tragedy in their homes by following traditional choking protocol.

Learn Choking Protocol

Choking is always a risk, so Dechoker feels the public should be well informed on choking procedures. The American Red Cross recommends a combination of two first-aid treatments for choking victims, and we also would like to suggest a third viable and proven alternative:

  • Abdominal thrusts: Also known as the Heimlich maneuver, this treatment involves wrapping your arms around a choking person's chest and thrusting inward and upward, forcing air out of the lungs to remove the object blocking the airway.
  • Back slaps: If abdominal thrusts are unsuccessful after about five attempts, switch to back slaps. This involves delivering firm blows with the heel of your hand to the choking person's back between the shoulder blades.
  • The Dechoker: We also recommend you educate yourself about our device. We are grateful to report that it has saved hundreds of lives worldwide. It uses a suction plunger to dislodge an object from a choking person's airway, and it's straightforward to use.

Dechoker® is Easy to Use

Learning choking protocol can help give you peace of mind, and more importantly, can ensure your loved ones' safety should the unthinkable happen. It is important to note that the Dechoker is easy to use straight out of the box. It easily sits over the victim's mouth and nose to create a seal. The bystander simply pulls back on the handle, and a vacuum dislodges any airway blockage in seconds. When every second counts, the Dechoker has proven to be a viable option in a choking emergency.

In addition, the Dechoker is small, making it easy to store in nearly any location or take with you outside the home. It is available in three sizes: Toddler, Child, and Adult. The Dechoker is also sold as part of a larger first-aid kit and accessories such as mounting cases for businesses. Consider what would work best for you.  



Also in Real Life Save Stories

Dechoker® Saves 65-Year-Old Woman with Dysphagia from Choking on Dinner
Dechoker® Saves 65-Year-Old Woman with Dysphagia from Choking on Dinner

August 08, 2022

The 230th life saved by Dechoker® is of a 65-year-old female who suffers from Dysphagia. The woman's son reported this scary choking incident below:
"My 65-year-old mother has a medical issue where she chokes on food a lot. My sister texted me that she choked really bad at dinner but was able to dislodge the food enough to breathe but just barely, so they were on their way to the hospital...

Read More
3-Year-Old Choked on PB&J, Saved by Dechoker®
3-Year-Old Choked on PB&J, Saved by Dechoker®

August 08, 2022

Some of the most texturally challenging foods like peanut butter on soft bread are significant choking hazards because they are harder to chew and swallow. When peanut butter gets lodged in someone's throat, it conforms and blocks the airway...
Read More
Dechoker® Saves Autistic 3-Year-Old with Dysphagia
Dechoker® Saves Autistic 3-Year-Old with Dysphagia

August 08, 2022

Choking is the leading cause of injury and death in children five years of age and younger. Unfortunately, children who are differently abled are often at a higher risk. For example, serious eating and swallowing disorders (Dysphagia) affect approximately 7 out of 10 children with autism...
Read More